CUSD banner Home Home Calendar Directory Site Map
arch icon


CUSD Policy Statement National School Lunch Program

The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a federally assisted meal program operating in the Cabrillo Unified School District, which provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to students.

The goal of the CUSD Child Nutrition Program is to serve nutritious, appetizing, and affordable meals to students. We believe that good nutrition is an important key to learning and that every child has the right to a nutritious breakfast and lunch at the lowest possible price.

Menus are posted in all school cafeterias and available online.

Breakfast is currently offered to elementary/middle school students for zero cost. High school breakfasts cost $2.00. Lunch is $4.00 at all schools. Free and reduced price meals are available to qualifying students at elementary, middle & high schools.

Policy Statement: The USDA, Food and Nutrition Service Instruction 791-1 (revised) prohibits the denial of meals as a disciplinary action to all children who participate in the school nutrition program. The prohibition does not extend to the denial of meals for failure to pay. The school will not provide free meals unless the student qualifies for free meal benefits. Students who do not qualify for free meals must pay for their meals.

For further information regarding the child nutrition program, or for assistance in completing the meal benefit application call the Food Service Office at 1-650-712-7117.

Free/Reduced Price Meals

The National School Lunch and Breakfast Program is a federally subsidized program and your child(ren) may be eligible to receive free or reduced price meals. You and your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals. Application for meal benefits must be completed each school year and only one application is needed per household. If you wish to apply, applications can be completed by paper available at elementary, middle & high schools as well as the main Food Service Department Office located at 498 Kelly Ave., Half Moon Bay CA 94019.

Processing of an application takes 7-10 operating days. For more information call the Food Service Office at 1-650-712-7117.

Homeless, Runaway, and Migrant Children

Contact the homeless advocate at your child(ren) school(s) or call 1-650-712-7109 to see if your child(ren) qualify if you have not been informed that they will receive free meals.

Military Housing Allowance

If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.


Food Service officials use the information supplied on the application to decide if your child(ren) should receive free or reduced price meals. This information can be released to other federal education programs and to state health and education programs.

How to Apply for Meal Benefits / Processing Time

Application for meal benefits must be completed each school year and only one application is needed per household. Paper applications are provided to children at participating schools at the beginning of each school year, however should you need another application you can obtain one from the school cafeteria at your child's school or the District’s Food Service office. Once a paper application is complete return it to the school cafeteria manager, school office or mail to Food Service, 498 Kelly Ave., Half Moon Bay CA 94019, making sure to be complete and accurate as possible as incomplete and illegible applications will be returned. Applications are processed in the main Food Service office and benefits begin once eligibility has been determined. Processing of an application takes 7-10 operating days. To reduce processing time we encourage you to apply online.


Your eligibility may be checked at any time during the school year. Food Service officials may ask you to send documentation to prove that your child(ren) should receive free or reduced price meal benefits.

Fair Hearing

If you do not agree with Food Service decision regarding eligibility of your meal benefit application or results to verification, you may discuss it with Food Service officials. You have a right to ask for a fair hearing. You may do this by calling 1-650-712-7167 or writing to the Coordinator of Food Services, 498 Kelly Ave, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019.


You may apply for meal benefits at anytime during the school year, if you are not eligible now. For example, if you have a decrease in household income, become unemployed, have an increase in family size or become a participant of: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (CalFresh), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR).

Non-Discrimination Statement

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Use of Information Statement

This explains how we will use the information you give us. The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult househould member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you

list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservation (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules. While disclosure of the last four digits of a social security number is voluntary the National School Lunch Act requires the last four digits of a social security number or indication of "none" for approval of the application.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How does the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program work? School districts that choose to participate in the meal programs receive federal reimbursement and donated commodities from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for each meal they serve. In return, they must serve meals that meet Federal requirements, and they must offer free or reduced price meals to eligible children.
  2. What are the nutritional requirements for school meals? The National School Lunch Act mandates that school meals "safeguard the health and well-being of the Nation's children". Participating schools must serve lunches that are consistent with the applicable recommendation of the most recent Dietary Guidelines for Americans including: eat a variety of foods; choose a diet with plenty of grain products, vegetables, and fruits; choose a diet moderate in sugars and salt; and choose a diet with 30% or less of calories from fat, less than 10% of calories from saturated fat and no trans fats. The Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 and the CUSD Student Wellness Policy, Board Policy 5030 also regulate menu choices.
  3. Do I have to complete an application (apply) each school year? Yes, your child's application is only good for that particular school year and up to 30 operating days of this school year. You must submit a new application to determine eligibility for THIS school year UNLESS you received a status notification letter (dated THIS school year) from the CUSD Food Service Department confirming eligibility for your child. If you have any additional questions contact the CUSD Food Service Department at 1-650-712-7117.
  4. How do children qualify for free or reduced price meals? Child(ren) can get free or reduced price meals if your household's gross income is within Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (CalFresh), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or, in some states Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), can get free meals regardless of your income. Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, can get free meals. NOTE: Any child at a participating school may purchase a meal through the National School Lunch/Breakfast Program.
  5. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your child(ren), and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.
  6. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you make $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime pay, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income. If your income decreases during the school year, you may submit another application at any time.
  7. I get WIC, can my child(ren) get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application, so that eligibility can be determined.